In 1822 a 128 meter long greenhouse was erected, in the Hofburg palace gardens, incorporating part of the old city wall. In 1901 the architect Friedrich Ohman was comissioned to build the splendid Jugendstil palmhouse which stands on the site today, which replaced the original structure. It took five years to build Ohmans creation, which is now a major tourist attraction in its own right. It is perhaps the most beautiful Jugendstil greenhouse ever built. By 1988 the building had fallen into disrepair and was closed to the public. Ten years and $17m later the refurbished building was reopened to the public.
The 2050 sqm. building houses plants used to decorate official functions, one of Viennas most popular restaurants and of course the tropical butterfly house.