The history of Tiergarten Schönbrunn goes back to Empress Maria Theresia and her husband Franz Stephan von Lothringen (Franz Stephan of Lorraine). The facility consisted of 12 enclosures with equally sized animal houses along with an administrative/technical building opening into a garden area (the whole complex was later known as the "loggia circle"). This was accompanied by a pond and two farmyards with additional buildings. This ensemble was separated from the remaining Castle Gardens and neighboring properties by a wall. In summer 1752, after a one-year construction period, the animals were brought to the zoo and presented to the public. The octagonal pavilion in the center of the facility, designed as a breakfast room and salon, was only completed in 1759. Even today, this pavilion remains the zoo's historical centerpiece. From 1949 onward, it has served as a restaurant.