Augustinian Reading Room of the Austrian National Library
The room, which today functions as the reading room for manuscripts and old printings of the Austrian National Library, was originally built as a library of the Augustinian monastery. The ceiling fresco was made by Johann Baptist Wenzel Bergl (1718–1789), one of the favourite painters of Empress Maria Theresa. The hall conveys a nearly authentic impression of a reading room of an 18th century library because of its historical ambience.
Photo © Österreichische Nationalbibliothek