The Donaunixenbrunnen (Danube mermaid fountain) is located in the hexagonal Basarhof of the Palais Ferstel and has a total high of 19 Vienna feet (equivalent to 6 meters) with a pelvic diameter of 10 feet (3.2 meters). The basin consists of Adnet marble, the column with the mermaids, the upper shell, the three figures and the Vienna Danube Mermaid was made of bronze. The Danaunixenbrunnen was unveiled in October 1861.
The idyllic square is located in one of Vienna’s oldest quarters, just a few minutes walk from Stephansplatz. Its name is derived from the Franziskanerkirche (Franciscan Church) that was built in the 17th century in Renaissance style that incorporated Gothic elements. The "Moses Fountain" is situated in the middle of the square.
Hoher Markt is one of the oldest and history-charged places in Vienna's historic city. Directly under the Hoher Markt are the remains of the roman military camp "Vindobona". In the middle ages it was center of the bourgeois city, the square surrounded by numerous guild houses. First and foremost it was trade in foods and textiles. Furthermore executions were carried out here. In the center of the square is located the fountain "Vermählungsbrunnen", dedicated to the marriage of Maria and Joseph. Another eye catcher is the Jugendstil clock "Ankeruhr" designed by Franz von Matsch.
Mozartplatz is located in the 4th district between Wiedner Hauptstraße and Favoritenstraße. The square is named after Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791). In the center is situated a fountain called "Zauberflötenbrunnen".
The Athena Fountain (Pallas-Athene-Brunnen) in front of the Parliament was erected between 1893 and 1902, based on the plans by Baron von Hansen. The four lying figures at the foot of Athena are allegorical representations of the four most important rivers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They represent at the front the Danube and Inn, in the back part the Elbe and Vltava (German: Moldau) rivers. The female statues above represent the legislative and executive powers of the state. They are again dominated by the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena standing on a pillar.
At Schwarzenbergplatz are located notable buildings and palaces, as well as the fountain "Hochstrahlbrunnen". The square, named after the field marshal Karl Fürst Schwarzenberg (1771 bis 1820), connects the 1st, 3rd and 4th district.
The Vermählungsbrunnen was dedicadad to the marriage of Jesus' parents. On 12 March 1732 the work was done, and on 14 April the Vermählungsbrunnen was inaugurated. Damaged by bombs in 1944, it has been restored in 1950 and 1955, the destroyed head of Maria was reproduced by the young sculptor Wander Bertoni.