The Blumengärten Hirschstetten are located in the 22nd district of Vienna (Donaustadt) since 1952 and cover an area of 60 000m2.
Among others, there are the following themed gardens:
Garden of Provence: planting of mediterranean herbs, lavender, vines, lemons, pomegranates, mulberry trees, almonds, etc. The lavender blooms from mid-June to August.
Indian Garden: features a wood-carved gazebo and lotus basin. The garden is entered through a gate with a half-ruined wall made of tuff stone. Planted with Indian spice plants, lotus flower as well as a variety of oriental ornamental plants such as pomegranate, hibiscus, passion flower, palms and figs.
Other facilities and gardens: a children’s playground, the English Garden, Mexican Garden, Wedding Garden, Rose Garden, the Fruit and Vegetable Garden, Turtle Garden, a maze (area: 2600m2), the Prehistoric Garden, the Hirschstetten Zoo (with mammal and reptile, bird and amphibian species) and a palm house (built in 1958, houses a wide variety of mammal and bird, reptile and fish species, as well as various insects, palm trees and tropical plant species in an area of about 700m2).
A Weinviertel (part of Lower Austria) farm from 1880 was faithfully reconstructed in the Blumengärten Hirschstetten. The ensemble also includes a vineyard (viewing terrace with a view over the flower gardens and the city all the way to the Vienna Woods), a chicken house, a barn, a press house, and a farm, herb and front garden.
In addition to a playground with, among other things, balancing equipment, carousel, slide, swing and seesaw, there are also several drinking fountains.
Filming permits are issued by Municipal Department 42 - Parks and Gardens.
Applications must be submitted via the Vienna Film Commission.
In 1822 a 128 meter long greenhouse was erected, in the Hofburg palace gardens, incorporating part of the old city wall. In 1901 the architect Friedrich Ohman was comissioned to build the splendid Jugendstil palmhouse which stands on the site today, which replaced the original structure. It took five years to build Ohmans creation, which is now a major tourist attraction in its own right. It is perhaps the most beautiful Jugendstil greenhouse ever built. By 1988 the building had fallen into disrepair and was closed to the public. Ten years and $17m later the refurbished building was reopened to the public.
The 2050 sqm. building houses plants used to decorate official functions, one of Viennas most popular restaurants and of course the tropical butterfly house.
Schönbrunn Palace Park was opened to the public around 1779 and has been a popular recreational area for the Viennese population and tourists ever since. The palace park has an east-west extension of 1.2 km and a north-south extension of about 1 km.
Special attractions in Schönbrunn Palace Park include the Crown Prince Garden, the Orangery Garden, the Maze as well as the Schönbrunn Zoo, the Palm House and Desert House. Since 1996, the palace park together with Schönbrunn Palace has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Great Palm House presents exhibits of the historical collection in its three houses: the Warm House, the Temperate House and the Cold House. Data on the Great Palm House: length: 111 m, width: 28 m, height: 25 m, surface: 2,500 m².
The history of Tiergarten Schönbrunn goes back to Empress Maria Theresia and her husband Franz Stephan von Lothringen (Franz Stephan of Lorraine). The facility consisted of 12 enclosures with equally sized animal houses along with an administrative/technical building opening into a garden area (the whole complex was later known as the "loggia circle"). This was accompanied by a pond and two farmyards with additional buildings. This ensemble was separated from the remaining Castle Gardens and neighboring properties by a wall. In summer 1752, after a one-year construction period, the animals were brought to the zoo and presented to the public. The octagonal pavilion in the center of the facility, designed as a breakfast room and salon, was only completed in 1759. Even today, this pavilion remains the zoo's historical centerpiece. From 1949 onward, it has served as a restaurant.