The racecourse was build in 1839. The first Austrian derby started in 1868. In 1885 the architect Josef Drexler rebuild the destroyed part of the building and designed new builings like the stables for the horses. The famous loge for the emperor is nowadays a modern place for every kind of events.
The Spanish Riding School in Vienna is the only institution in the world which has practiced for over 430 years and continues to cultivate classical equitation in the Renaissance tradition of the haute école.
The objective of classical equitation is to study the way the horse naturally moves and to cultivate the highest levels of haute école elegance the horse is capable of through systematic training. The result creates an unparalleled harmony between rider and horse, as only Vienna's Spanish Riding School achieves.